The Art of Sketching – full day of instruction and guided sketching in picturesque Enniskerry Village, Saturday 11 June 10.00 – 16.00.
In this full day workshop we will cover some essential skills for sketching on location, at home or on your travels:
- Selecting the right materials for ease and convenience – what to choose and what to leave behind.
- Choosing your subject and your best viewpoint – where to start, what to fit in, how to proceed
- Composition – some basic considerations
- A simple approach to perspective and achieving a sense of space and depth in your sketch
- Pen and ink – making marks that dance on the page
- Watercolour – keeping it fresh, loose and spontaneous
- Colour mixing and tonal values
- Developing your personal style – your sketch is like your signature, a unique expression of you!
10.00 – 12.30: Morning Session
Meet at the Schoolhouse for Art where we will have a brief overview of our sketchbooks and materials. This will be followed by a demonstration on location in the village, offering a clear step by step approach to starting and developing a sketch. You may then select your subject and begin sketching with individual guidance.
12.30 – 13.15: Lunch in the village – many good options
13.15 – 15.45: Afternoon Session
This will include a second demonstration followed by independent sketching time with individual assistance
15.45: Return to the Schoolhouse for review of our sketches
Details and Registration
The cost for the full day of instruction is €90. Space is limited and early booking is advised.
Registration may be made through the Schoolhouse for Art:
Brenda Malley is a professional artist and art instructor living in Greystones Co Wicklow with over 25 years experience teaching classes and workshops. Her work is represented by the Trinity Gallery in Dublin as well as by the Whitethorn Gallery in Clifden, and she has exhibited in London, Boston and Cannes. Brenda’s workshops encompass palette knife oil painting as well as Urban Sketching on location in Ireland and the South of France.